Occupational Health & Safety Community
208 Members

Needlestick injury in dental clinic

I'm new graduate dentist and today I was performing a root canal procedure on a patient and had a needlestick injury. The instrument was a "rotary endodontic file" (no hollow bore) and had just been used inside an infected pulp in which there was blood and pulp debris. I had irrigated the pulp with antibacterial sterilizing (Miltons) solution and the file was wet from this solution but there was blood and pulp tissue in the tooth. The file entered my finger about 2mm in depth at an angle and drew a small amount of blood, like a pin prick. I immediately washed and rinsed the area. The patient is a male in his 50s, his reported medical history is completely clear aside from a pericarditis episode years ago which was related to an untreated chest infection. I checked further and the patient said he had no other health issues. He agreed to undergo a blood test to check.
My question is, am I at any further risk of infection if his blood test results are negative? Does it sound like a high risk scenario? Very worried
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.