Occupational Health & Safety Community
218 Members

The phlebotomist didn't wash her hands before a blood draw. Should we be concerned?

My grandfather went to a lab to get bloodwork and the phlebotomist was in a hurry and going from patient to patient, even handling a urine sample, without washing her hands. I don't know if any of the people she saw had any diseases like Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV 1/2, HTLV I/II, Syphilis,  West Nile Virus, T. Cruzi (Chagas)
CMV (cytomegalovirus) from this. I'm not a doctor but I think she did everything else right like cleaning the area with alcohol before drawing and stuff.
For years and years, people did not wash their hands before going from patient to patiient drawing bloods. This is clearly not a recommended practice, however I am sure they did not touch the trochar, which is the only important issue. I would not be overly concerned. You might write a polite note to his/her superior, calling this to their attention.
I did inform their supervisor. By trochar are you referring to the needle? I don't think she touched the needle. She did touch his skin and I think I did see her wipe it with alcohol before sticking him.
cont. He's 91 and I don't know how much longer I have with him and I don't want to have caused him harm by not speaking up before he walked in. I saw this going on that day and I just didn't speak up. I feel guilty and concerned so that's why I posted this.
You did the right thing by speaking up. More importantly, always question the need for a blood draw. Unnecessary blood draws in the elderly are a problem. These are usually done for insurance purposes. Blood draws are performed through a hollow needle, called as trochar.
I should have spoke up before the blood draw. I'm not his regular caretaker, my grandmother does that. I was just helping out that day. I'm just concerned that by her not washing her hands, she coukd have exposed him to something.
Report it to the people at where he went as it's a breach of their regs she can get a warning for it as like you said you don't know what is on her hands and maybe she isn't the only one who is doing that it can be a breach of health and safety
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.