Asbestosis and sleep apnea

My husband was diagnosed with asbestosis two years ago.  Recently he has been diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea.  Although I have found medical journals which link idopathic pulmonary fibrosis with obstructive sleep apnea, is there any link between asbestosis and sleep apnea?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0

There is no link or association between asbestosis and sleep apnea that I am aware of. However, if a person were to have significant interstitial fibrosis as a result of asbestosis, it is possible that this level of fibrosis could complicate sleep apnea. I say this because of the known association that you mention above with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and sleep apnea.

•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.