Occupational Safety & Health Forum

Ethylene glycol in dried paint

After applying a paint that contains Ethylene Glycol. Is the chemical still present after the paint dries.
This question is for child and pet safety. So I am wondering the toxicity of chewed, dried paint.
Is it safe to use on child and pet objects?
Thanks,
Buhte

For toxicity information related to ethylene glycol, I recommend taking a look at the following link::
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mhmi/mmg96.html#bookmark02

From the above CDC link:
"Ethylene glycol is odorless and not absorbed well through the skin or mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth). It is also not well absorbed when inhaled."

"Ethylene glycol is rapidly absorbed following ingestion, which is the predominant route of exposure. Ingestion of ethylene glycol leads to systemic toxicity beginning with CNS effects, followed by cardiopulmonary effects, and finally renal (kidney) failure."

I'd be happy to answer another question if you see other chemical names on the paint's label that you may have questions about.

http://www.paint.org/issues/greenbuilding.cfm

In general, I would not recommend using paint that contains ethylene glycol on child or pet objects/toys.

I hope this is helpful to you.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.