Occupational Safety & Health Forum

Fumes from cooking bacon hazardous?

This is going to sound weird, but I was exposed for the better part of 4 years at work to the fumes of cooking bacon and sausage.  The office in which I worked was physically located right next to the kitchen that cooked a LOT of bacon and sausage every day, in addition to a LOT of deep-fat fried foods.  The fumes (smell of bacon, mostly, but also anything else that was cooked) seemed to have been vented directly into my office area, instead of to the outside.  After a few years of exposure, I noticed I'd get nauseous, migraine headaches, be unable to concentrate, and just couldn't function.   An allergist diagnosed me with an allergy to PORK, but I don't think that's the whole problem.

Someone mentioned that the kitchen in this building wasn't intended to be a "commercial" facility, cooking the volumes of food they cooked in there, and that the ventilation system was probably just inadequate.  Is that possible?  If so, how do I find out what the REQUIRED ventilation should have been for the foods and quantities they were cooking vs what the ventilation system actually WAS?

Thanks so much!

Here is an example of what one state (Minnesota) has published regarding commercial kitchen ventilation systems: http://www.mda.state.mn.us/about/divisions/~/media/Files/food/business/ventguide.ashx

Also, how was the diagnosis of "Pork Allergy" made? Did your allergist perform testing of some sort?

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.