Occupational Safety & Health Forum

battery acid breathing

I recently developed a bad cough.I would cough up a yellow mucus in the morning. Also bad middle back pain. I spend 8-12 hours in my pick-up at work. Yesterday I realized that the battery was off-gassing fumes. The battery was so bad it  almost blew up. It had a severe rotten egg smell. The truck battery has been remedied. I guess I breathed that acid for about 2 weeks . Many times just sitting in the truck with the windows up and the air on in 100 deg. heat. Now the coughing has lessened, and the back pain has as well. I was wondering if there was a home treatment I could do. I don't have much money and no insurance.  Thanks. Bill hayes.

There are no scientifically proven "home treatments" that I can recommend.

What symptoms are you currently experiencing? Cough? if so, is the cough productive? Are you a smoker? Do you have any other medical problems such as asthma (or wheezing when you breathe)?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.