Bruised nerve due to wisdom tooth extraction

Hi Dr Kirsch,
I've emailed you a couple of times, and hoping I can ask a further question on my mom's injury.
She had a wisdom tooth extraction in March, and has had numbness in her tongue ever since.  She just had a CT scan done to rule out any other factors (ie tumors), and that is fine.  This numbness is really causing her tremendous anxiety.  She has told her oral surgeon this, and on Thursday when she visited his comment was that he is "optimistic" that the feeling will return, and to "keep the faith".  He gave her an appointment with a neurologist and some pain killers.  Supposedly this neurologist can prescribe something to help "build the nerves".  
He did say it looks like there has been some "movement", but the nerve is "bruised".  She has so much trouble coping with this....has trouble eating, her tongue feels like its sore at the back, and she describes when she talks, it is like her tongue is taking up all the space in her mouth.
Could you give me an opinion on this?  Is there anything in the meantime she can do to relieve this discomfort?  I really am worried for her if this doesnt go away.
Thanks again Dr Kirsch for your time and advice,
Mary
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My daughter had all 4 wisdom teeth out and now her bottom lip is numb its been 2 months, should she go to another doctor
Helpful - 1
Mary,

Nerve injury to the tongue following wisdom tooth is a well known risk of the surgery.  It may be unavoidable and can occur even when the surgery is done correctly.  Less than 1% of those cases are permanent.

Nerves heal very slowly especially in patients over 30 yrs. old.  There are medications such as Neurontin and Tegretol which can relieve some of the unpleasant sensations and pain.  Patients need to be monitored closely while taking these drugs.  In some rare cases surgery is necessary to repair the nerve.

I suggest you obtain a second opinion from a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who is familiar with the treatment of Trigeminal Nerve injuries.  I believe they would treat more cases then a general neurologist.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, Tooth extraction was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Numbness post wisdom tooth extraction was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Wisdom teeth removal was started.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Forum

If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.