Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Forum

Candidate for surgery?

More than 30 years ago, I had a facial injury that caused dislocation of my jaw.  My jaw has ached ever since and I have problems opening my mouth.  X-rays show that the jaw has "squared-off" an area of my skull, so I guess there is some cartilege missing.  I have constant grinding (bone on bone?) and, according to my dentist, my jaw muscles spasm about a dozen times each time I open my mouth.
Soon after the injury, I tried splints and braces to correct the problem but with no success.  I have spent 10s of thousands of dollars trying to get this fixed and replacing teeth that became loose.  
The pain can be unbearable at times so I try not to do anything that makes it bad.  Like chewing, talking....
If you think surgery could help, what kind of doctor should I look for?  
You should seek the advise of a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who performs TMJ and reconstructive jaw surgery.

They will perform a comprehensive examination and obtain x-rays.  Only after they have obtained all the relevant information can they make treatment recommendations.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.