Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Forum

Dental Abscess

Hi, I had jaw surgery last July, 2007 for my upper and lower jaw. I have recently developed a dental abscess on the lower left side of my gum. It is located below the screw they placed during surgery. I went to my local dentist and he told me to contact my Maxillofacial Surgery and prescribed 500 mg of Amoxicillin because it may be related to the screw. I have no pain at all in my tooth only the discomfort of having a swollen gum and what feels like like a hard bump a little above the abscess. I would like to know if it is serious and if probably the screw it causing my gum to become infected?

Thank you very much for taking your time to read this and have a nice day.
- Jessi
You should have first contacted the surgeon who did the procedure in July 2007, not your dentist.

Call your surgeon as soon as possible!  Just because you do not have pain does not mean there is no problem.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.