Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Forum

abscessed tooth and 9 weeks pregnant

I have swelling under my jaw as well as along side of it.  SEVERE pain running down my neck and behind my ear.  I went to the dentist 2 wks ago and was told I have an abscess.  I was given an antibiotic and 2 days worth of Vicodin.  I have taken all 10 days of my medicine, the swelling has gone down some...I still have a large hard lump along my jaw. The pain is still very intense.  I am taking reg. strenght tylenol for pain. It does not really help.  My dentist can not do a RC until mid Jan.   I am afraid to wait this long and I don't know if I can take this pain much longer.  I am afraid the infection will spread to the baby but I am also worried if it is safe to have a rc or better to just have an extraction? Can someone please help?
You are correct to be concerned about the infection affecting the baby and your general health.  It is unacceptable to wait for treatment.  I suggest you find another root canal doctor (endodontist) who can see you immediately. A personal call from you general dentist to the specialist goes along way.

If you cannot be immediately seen, you should go to a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon to make sure you are taking the correct medications and the infection is not spreading into your neck or blood stream.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.