the gum still not closed 3 months after the implant surgery

I have implant done on tooth #10 , which is a front tooth, in the middle of April, 2008. no abutment put in, and the suture was taken off after two weeks of the surgery.

suppose the gum will close several weeks after the suture removed, but now, 3 month passed the surgery, my gum still not closed. I am deeply worried if that will cause any problem.

if the gum still not close after 6 moths of the surgery, do I need to do gum regeneration? how much will it cost?

currently, my gum is too thin, based on the speed it grows, by October, which is the recommended the time to do implant crown, doctor told me it might not have enough gum to cover the root of crown, and it will have space between the crown and the adjacent tooth, which is ugly. I am terrified, it is front tooth, any recommendations that I could do to solve this problem? Thanks!!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Restoration of anterior teeth is one of the most technically demanding surgical and prosthetic dental procedures.  There is nothing that can substitute clinical experience and proper training.

Hopefully, your dental team has both.  There needs to be good communication between all care providers to deliver the best possible outcome.

Grafting of gum tissue and bone are customarily performed before, during or after implant placement.  The timing is decided by the dental team and patient during the pre-surgical phase.  In some cases, the anticipated outcome is not readily achieved and additional procedures are required.

Your question needs to be addressed to the surgeon.  You may not require any additional procedures if the exposed part of the implant is where the final abutment will protrude through the gum.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.

Helpful - 1
follow-up questions are not permitted.  feel free to post a new forum question.  multiple questions are not permitted.
Helpful - 0

Thanks very much. What I really worried is the implant crown result if the gum tissue is too thin. if so, there won't be enough gum to fill the space between the crown and adjacent tooth (the portion near the root, if no gum to fill in, there is no way to fill them by changing the shape of the crown).

if that happen, how much gum generation I need? how much it might cost? and how long I might to wait to be able to get my crown?

the Dr. said if that happen, he will place a ceramic crown , wait more months, for the gum to grown, then, after that, put a final crown. will his plan work? Thanks.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Forum

If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.