Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Forum

Foot Pain

I did a 5 mile run yesterday (35 miles over 8 days). I felt no pain whilst I was running, only after my stretches after I had stopped. I initially had tenderness in my right thigh and inner part of lower leg at the front. I found it quite painful puuting weight on for the rest of the day- due to the pain in my lower leg.
On going to bed the pain completely shifted away from my leg to the top part of my foot/ big toe and I noticed I had what looked like a small bit of bone sticking out. I got up early in the night and initially it painful putting weight on my foot, however after a few steps the pain decreased. On getting up this morning the lump on my foot has disappeared, however I have some redness stretching from about 1cm below my big toe to just above my ankle. It is tender to touch however not painful to walk on. I have only slight tenderness in my lower leg now. Please could you advise what this could be and if I need to see anyone. I am hoping to run a marathon in a few months.
With the increased training leading up to your race, it is possible to have developed a stress, or fatigue, fracture.  From where you are having the pain it sounds like it may be in one of the metatarsals.  On the other hand, this may simply be inflammation in the tendons and muscles also arising from your training.
At this point, I would recommend several days rest, ice for twenty minutes several times a day, elevation if needed, and over the counter NSAID's if you can take them.  If the pain persists for more than several days, see your doctor for an examination and an Xray.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.