Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Forum

How to treat a Muscle strain

Hello. I was a soccer player at age 14-17 and stopped playing for 20 years. Today I'm 37 and wanted to start playing again. I am not in a good shape, I know that, but I did start jogging 2-3 times a week for 25 min and my body seemed to handle it fine.

The night of the first game, I was very stressed and it was cold outside - in the warm-up I pulled a muscle. It was a pretty bad pull, the muscle above the knee. I couldn't walk at all, and when i came back home I put ice on it. The next day I woke up in a better shape (surprisingly, for me since most of my injuries seemed to be worse the next day) - better shape meaning I could walk, but obviously very sore.

Its been almost 2 weeks, and I still feel it - it still hurts.

My question - I heard that moderate activity of the muscle could help heal it. But I wasn't sure if i'll start jogging, will i make more harm. Should I just let time do its magic? Or maybe there's some cream or medication I can take to help it go away? I haven't asked my doctor yet since I felt a bit silly asking for an appointment over a pulled muscle.
Any help would be appreciated.
Given you age and activity level, a Physical therapy progarm empahasizing stretching strengthening, modalities, and intsrtuction in a home exercise program would be a good place to start.

Injections of platelet rich plasma (PRP) have been shown to shorten the healing process for a variety of soft tissue injuries including muscle injuries.  PRP is obtained by drawing up to 50cc's of the patient's own blood, and the centrifuging it a high speed to obtain a approximately 5cc's of concentrated platelets.  The patients own platelets are then reinjected back into the injured area. This provides a high concentration of the healing factors that serve to "jump start" the patient's  natural healing processes.  In addition it provides an autologous soft tissue scaffold for soft tissue healing.

We have been quite successful in our office using PRP for an array of injuries and cloinical applications.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.