unhealing broken ankle

My husband broke his ankle in 3 spots and had surgery on 4/24/09. he had a plate put in on one side and 2 screws on the other side. We went back to the doctor today, one month after surgery and he said that it hasn’t begun healing yet. Does this sound normal and is there something we can do to help the healing process? I’m desperate and will try pretty much anything. I’m going to get him some calcium pills,  but I didn’t know if there was certain foods that help bones heal and become stronger. If there are any ideas out there, I would really appreciate it!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Quite honestly, I wouldn't expect complete healing at only 4 weeks either, and after open reduction and internal fixation of a fracture, it is often difficult to setect healing on an xray.  If the doctor is worried about healing he may suggest the use of an electrical stimulator, which is worn outside the body during the day and can promote a healing response.  As far as taking extra calcium, this may not be safe, and should only be done after checking with your doctor. But most of all, at 4 weeks after surgery, I would not be worried.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Broken Ankle was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, From break to surgery was started.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Forum

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.