Orthopedics Community

Laser and ultrasound work for post surgery stiff knee?

(50 yr.old female 5'8" 130# with scoleosis and osteoporosis and unemployed with NO insurance)
I fell 8/17/2012--fractured right patella.  Surgery 8/18/2012 - doctor told me he used special stitches inside to secure it.  Dr. had me doing no PT for 6 wks.   8 weeks later he then handed me a paper with 3 exercises on it and told me I shouldn't need PT.   I had so much pain in my right foot (felt like multiple fractures!) that I couldn't get off the walker until Jan.28,2013.  ** I only have 12" of movement in my right leg now.

Do I have to have this knee operated on again?  Are there treatments of some kind that can work on thining and stretching the muscles to give me full movement again?....and not break the femur?   (laser and ultra sound??)  I can't fathom not being able to do all the things I use to do(!).  I am so afraid that I am going to fall again now, and my scoleosis (curves to the right) is more painful now.  I called the surgeon and he told me that he "doesn't keep up on new or alternative solutions for my problem(!).   Please help me......I need to know what I am up against.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. The current symptoms may be related to stiffness due to prolonged disuse, inflammation, complications such as scar formation etc. While physiotherapy may be useful for movement improvement, a review with your treating orthopedician may be required to rule out secondary issues before initiating one. I would suggest consulting your treating orthopedician for an evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.