Orthopedics Community

6 months of pain, swelling, bruising & STILL No relief

I posted on this board a few months ago about my ankle. In May I started feeling pain in my right foot at the bottom on the side. Eventually the pain worsened and I had a lump about the size of a 1/2 dollar on the front of my ankle. I went to a podiatrist and had MRIs and x-rays. He determined I had the beginning stages of a stress fracture. He put me in an aircast boot and sent me to physical therapy. The boot did provide some relief as well as physical therapy. I was in the boot for almost 2 months and when I went back to the doctor he pretty much told me to just take it easy. I was still in a lot of pain so I went to another doctor who a colleague referred me to. She was also having problems with her ankle. This new doctor specialized in sports medicine. I immediately liked her more then the other doctor. She seemed more knowledgeable. She couldn't really give me a diagnoses but suggested I might have pulled a muscle very badly. She suggested physical therapy as well with deep tissue massage. So I've been going to therapy 2 times a week for about a month. I do my stretches and exercises they give me every night before bed. I am very careful at the gym and only ride the bike or swim. Some days my leg is okay other days I have pain running up my leg from my ankle. The small lump has not seemed to go down at all and I do have some bruising on my ankle (it could be from the massage) but I don't know. I really don't know what to do at this point. I'm just researching around online and am thinking maybe it is my tibialis anterior muscle or tendon that is torn? I saw the doctor a few weeks ago and she said continue with the therapy and if it doesn't help then I'll need another MRI. It is very frustrating because I am spending gobs of money on this injury with no relief for months now. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Is there another doctor that I should try that is a differently specialty?
Hi!
I am sorry to hear that you not pain free even after all these days. Since there was a lump, please get the pain investigated in relation to the lump. A lump at the ankle can be due to a cyst, a hematoma, localized collection of fluid, a varicose vein causing venous pooling, an ulcer due to friction from foot wear, arthritis or due to infection (boil). It can also be a lipoma or a neurofibromas (collection of nerves and fibrous tissue). First consult an orthopedic specialist and get CT scan of the ankle. This will give a clear picture regarding the swelling. Since it is painful it can be an infected cyst, a boil, a neurofibroma, varicose vein, or an ulcer due to friction. If it is a varicose vein, you may eed doplar study for confirmed diagnosis. You can take an anti-inflammatory pain killer. However, you need to consult a doctor (ortho specialist/sports injury specialist). Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.