Orthopedics Community

8 year old knee replacement; I am now 45

I have had several knee surgeries including a sugery back in 1979 with last surgery in 2004 a total knee replacement. I am very curious to see what has gone wrong after so long as at the bottom of the knee cap on the front, something has come loose or is a spur that seems to be poking through the skin. It is very "sharp, rough" on the outside. What could have happened? Thanks
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on the situation. The lump could occur due to issues with the prosthesis, degeneration, growths from the bone or the surrounding connective tissue etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.