Orthopedics Community

Anyone with spondylothesis ver go through the fusion

I have Spondylothesis from birth and the orthopedic doc wants to cut and put the metal in as supports, I also have a disc that has herniated because of this problem at L4 wondered with all the bad stuff you hear about back fusion if anyone has any advice?  I am a alittl eworried about back fusion.  I am a non smoker and always have been at 34 years of age and I kinda want totalk to someone who has done this surgery.  Any help would be appreciated.
I am scheduled for a lumbar decompression surgery with internal fusion on March 8th. I was dignosed with spondylosis L5 and spondylothesis, slipage of L4. I get numbness and pain in my right leg alot. I do not want permanent nerve damage so I got 3 opinions. But I am still scared. I am 53 yrs old. Anyone out there have any advice ASAP !!!
omg..that is weird, i found out i have it to and am schelduled for surgery. i wish i knew the answer to ur question
I am a 43 year old male who had very bad sciatica 3 years ago for 2 months, then mild for another 4 months.  I went to the chiro, got xrays, diagnosed with sciatica, spondyliothesis.  Got MRI, confirmed the same, and showed disc bulges at L4 and L5 too.  

I had chiro adjustments for a while.  I went once to a back-decompression center, but couldn't afford the $2500 for a month of decompression therapy.  So I incorporated the decompression in my workouts.  I would hang at the gym from a "preacher chair" and from the pull-up bar repeatedly before and after my 2 hour mild workouts (2-3 times before and after for a minute for each hang).  It was the only thing that ever gave me any relief at all from the pain going down my butt, leg, and to my big toe.  It stretches the spasming muscles, ligaments, releases pressure on the discs, and pulls the slipping spine back up and straight).  Doing it repeatedly also pulls fluid back into the discs to help rejuvenate them (discs have no veins to supply fluid so they need movement to push fluids into them to keep them pliable).  I also leaned over my kitchen counter, bent my knees and let my legs hang several more times a day whenever the pain grew bad (or I leaned against the counter and turned my hands backwards on the edge and did a push up and locked out my elbows above the counter (anything to unweight/decompress the spine multiple times a day).  I also lost weight and strengthened my abs on the ab-roller type bench at the gym, and did back strengthening exercises as well.  I think the decompression was the most beneficial thing and helped heal my back.  Even though I have read that 80/90% of these sciatica pain issues go away on their own after a few months, I still believe that multiple decompression helps heal and keep spine healthy, so I still do it once before and after my workouts today...3 years later.  If you can afford the $2500 back decompression center costs, I would suggest to try that first before major surgery.  I am still doing good now and keeping my fingers crossed.  Good luck to you all and let me know how this works for you.  
I was diagnosised with spondylothesis when i was 14. I had a spinal fusion when i was 15. it cracked and i had it redone when i was 19. then when i was 25 i had a revision because some bone was pressing on a nerve makeing my right leg weak. for twenty years i was fine. my fifth vertebra was slipped forward and my mother was told with out the surgery i wouldnt be able to walk by time i was 20. I went on to have two children. worked my way thru college and worked as a nurse for 11 years before something else happened to my back. the fusion has held but the si joint ruptured so i have severe pain there. i have tried the decompression for the si joint but it just made it hurt worse. when i had the fusions done it was done using my own bone from the left hip. no metal or cages or anything. i have heard that sometimes those things like screws will work their way out. be sure to get second and third opions before doing anything if you havent already. but i can say that my fusions were a success and now i would have one done on my si joint if i can find someone to do it. penny
I am 55yrs and have just been diagnosed with spondylothesis.  I am overweight about 25kgs. Does weight have to be factored in? I am a midwife and would like to work till I'm 60+. Does this condition remain constant (iepain) or does it sometimes become acute and then get better? Are there any remedies that do not require surgery? thanks Sue
First, let me say that I have never regretted having s1 and l5 fused on 12-18-1964. I had congential spondylothesis and had it operated on when I was 20 years old. I should have had it done when I was 14 years old but we did not have the money so I suffered with it for 6 years. It was a terrible disease for a joung man to live with who was in the prime of his life. At that time you were placed in a body cast, after the operation, and spent the next 3 months in bed...that was very trying on a young mind. My understanding is that they don't do that anymore and the surgery is less intrusive today.  When I was released from the hospital in 1964 I ignored ALL  the Doctors instructions and returned to work on a cattle ranch for 3 years, built railroad lines for another 2 years and continued in hard labor for 2 more years and then took the Doctors advise and went to college and became an accountant. Those years of hard labor took a toil on my back and I had to retire at age 58 and live on disability due to chronic back pain. My advise is to go ahead and have the operation but don't expect to do the things you used to do or atleast expect to do them in moderation.  GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU.
I had the fusion of the L5-S1 last March and have been miserable ever since. My pain is worse since surgery. Then I finally got a discogram and now they want to fuse the L4-5. I am very leary of having another back surgery. I fear this will cause problems with the next one. Then what they don`t stop untill the run out of discs. My advice get several opinions. a mylogram, Discogram and and ask the surgeon if he read the MRI or is he going off the written report. they are only as good as the people who read them. I wish I had never let them touch me. MAKE SURGERY A LAST OPTION>
I think you are right in saying that you should be taking several opinions from different orthopaedician before giving consent for surgery.
I generally advise to do all investigations before any attempt to do surgery on patients.
If you do any surgery in any discipline you should be thorough and well versed with what the doctor is going to do and what could be the complications.
How experienced is the surgeon is also important as in one study it was found that more experienced the surgeon is less is the complications.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
I had 3 differi=ent surgeons tell me I needed surgery so I had it I believe if they had done a discogram to begin with they could have taken care of my L5-S1 and fixed my pain problem with the L4-5 at the same time of course there is no guarantee this will resolve my problem but at least it would have prevented aanother surgery instead of the guess work I believe they are doing. I thank you for your input and I have to try everything to alleviate the pain I am in. I now know If it takes 100 surgeries as long as there is hope for relief I have to go through them. I refuse to give up for some kind of miricale.
Thanks For Listening,
Dan
How are you feeling?
If you have hoped that there would be some miracle happening after some surgery I am with you. You should have this positive attitude that I have to get out of this pain as early as possible and I would do anything to get out of this ailment.
Bye.
Hi jane,
Have you heard of a new procedure called biacuplasti. I am told its new and is actualy radio frequency ablation of the disc.They are doing a study of it at the Cleveland Clinic. by a Dr. Kapural.  I was told there was probably a 50-50 chance that another fusion would give me some relief. I am not sure yet if I am a candidate of this procedure since I am post fusion. But studies are saying this is promising for people with disc pain. Thank you for your encouragement. I refuse to give up on myself and will continue to try to help others with every thing I find out.

Thanks for listening,
Dan
I am 15 and i had spondylothesis. i have had 2 spinal fuisons because my first one didnt work. i had my first operation when i was 13 and my second when i was 14. it was alot for me to go through but its nothing to be scared of! you will get through it because if i can u can!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.