Orthopedics Community

Back pain- Please help!

Hello! I have been dancing since I was 3 and I am know 16. I took the past year off, but I have auditions for an advanced class this week so I have been perparing an hour or so each day to get my skill level back. I assume I did something funky because I have excruciating back pain on the lower left side near my hip that began half way through a practice session. I know cannot do a ballet turn because my balance is so thrown off and crooked (not to mention the terrible pain that I get). It's worse when I put weight on my left leg and when I am lying down (on my back and either side). The worse pain, however, came when I was trying to stretch it to make it feel better and I laid down on my stomach and arched my back up... I couldn't even make in an inch without feeling awful (and I have an extremely high pain tolerance!) Please tell me what I should do- ice it, heat pad, etc. Am I going to be okay to audition and do hard dance moves 24 hours after the original injury (the auditions are tomorrow...). Should I visit a doctor? Please respond!
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your backache. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, spinal causes such as injuries/ degeneration, neuro-muscular causes, referred pain from other regions such as kidneys etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.