Orthopedics Community

Blisters under cast

My son broke his foot a couple of weeks ago and had a cast put on.  His feet sweat constantly (he's always been this way) and he keeps complaining about the cast being wet and uncomfortable on the inside.  I have him run a hair dryer down the inside of the cast, set on cool, to help keep it dry.  Now he's complaining that he has blisters (he thinks 3) from the cast rubbing on areas we can't reach.  Should I be concerned about the blisters getting infected?  He only has 2 more weeks until the cast comes off......
Hi there!

There is minimal risk of infection with blisters since they would be covered by dead skin. However, since the cast is getting uncomfortable, I would suggest getting this evaluated by your treating orthopedician for a possible replacement with a well padded cast.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.