Orthopedics Community

Broken Pinky Finger - Post Surgery Stiffness

I had surgery done on my broken pinky finger on January 1, 2008, which I broke while playing football, and I was in the cast for 6 weeks after that. After the cast came out, the doctor told me to go to therapy for 6 weeks/ 2 times a week to get rid of the stiffness in the finger. Now it is May 5th, 2008 and I have 2 more weeks of therapy left but still the finger is a little stiff. I can bend it but not fully and in terms of going back up it doesn't move at all.

The therapist has told me that doctor's could do another surgery to loosen up the tendons but I will wait to ask a doctor until my therapy is done.

The questions that I had is:

1) What are the chances that I can still gain full momentum in my pinky finger?
2) If I am not able to get the stiffness out, can anyone tell about the surgery the therapist was talking about?

Greatly appreciate your help.

Hello Everyone,

I would greatly apprecaite the view / comments of someone who has knowledge of this field.

I had i similar thing done to my finger, i broke it playing footy then had a few screws put in. After the surgery i couldn't straighten it out but i was still able to make a fist. My therapist sent me for another operation to straighten it but it ended up removing all movement due to a build up of scar tissue and the fact that they cut some of my tendons. If i had my time again i would have left it the way it was.
Hi imq

i have the samething right now this is 3 months after my surgery
I can bend it well but could not straighten it up

Is there any improvement in your case , did you go for the second surgery

VG
I broke my pinky finger through the joint playing rugby about 6 months ago.  I didn't have to get surgery but I had like exercises I had to do everyday so I didn't loose movement in that finger.  Just last month I got full movement back...so it could take a while. Hope all goes well! :D
I had a severe PIP joint fracture on my pinkie finger on Aug 17th and had surgery on the 21st.  I have 2 screws holding that joint together now.  

It's about 5 weeks post-op now and have had the cast off for about a week and a half.  I'm in my first week of physical therapy.  

The tip of my pinkie is still numb and the finger itself is stiff as a carrot - very little movement.  I'm very concerned about the lack of movement and the numbness at this point but the doctor and therapists are saying don't worry.  We'll see in another month.  I'm concerned about hearing stories of people that didn't start moving it right away vs. people that did and the significant difference in range of motion later on.
The same exact thing happened to me a month ago.  I had two pins placed in my bone, and am now going to therapy.  The stiffness is normal.  My therapist told me that I may not get full movement in my pinky for a year, and I am only 16.  Your symptoms are totally normal however.  
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.