Orthopedics Community

Broken rib during pregnancy

Hi doctor,

I broke a rib on my left back side from vomiting while I was 35 weeks pregnant & then gave birth to my daughter a week early at 39 weeks. It has been two years since I had my baby, however I am still in consistent pain on BOTH sides - mainly the left of course. I find it hard to sleep or sit comfortably, and stretching or taking really deep breaths can cause me in collapse in pain at times.

While pregnant, I read that the uterus can push the rib cage out by up to 5 cms. I am wondering if my rib partially healed while expanded from its original place and that is why I am still experiencing so much pain? I have noticed the pain getting more severe the thinner I am getting from losing the baby weight I put on in my pregnancy.

Any information or advice you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Kind Regards, Haylie
For your ribs to heal you had two prolems:
1) There is a constant inspiration and expiration due to respiration so as such it is difficult as you cannot put a cast etc.
2) Your pregnancy was a difficult condition for the ribs as your uterus reached above the ribs to the lowest part of the sternum in pregnancy so there was a constant push to the ribs and while after delivery there is again disturbance of the ribs as they move down a little.

So presently you have to go for a routine X-ray and check the condition of the rib and take an expert advice near an orthoapedician for an examination and healing. Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.