Orthopedics Community

Burning pain on side of outer knee

63 yr. old female, former housecleaner for approximately 15 years.  Have osteoarthritis but developed a new problem with my knee a few years ago while kneeling only.  I was cleaning, knelt down on my right knee and had a ripping burning painful sensation to my right knee on the outer side, maybe a tiny bit below the knee cap itself.  I quickly moved, it stopped within a few moments but couldn't kneel again.  It seemed to dissipate after a few years but came back when I got down on all four playing with kids and pets.  Just the right knee.  I can say I actually had to look to see if I had ripped the skin it hurt that badly and of course there was nothing there.  Hard surfaces and trying to crawl make it impossible.  I don't understand why it went away but I've since retired yet it acted up again last night and continues.  Possibly a ligament, tendon, sheath?  More like skin pulling away.  Have not noted swelling or redness.  I will go to my primary tomorrow but hoping to get diagnosed so I don't have to wait the long period to see an orthopedic.  
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.