Aa
A
A
A
Close
Orthopedics Community
12.6k Members

Can you play soccer with a broken Metacarpal

My 15 year old son broke his 5th metacarpal in his non-dominant hand (45 degree angulation). He desperately wants me to find a doctor to set it, cast it and let him play soccer. We are inclined to let the Doc pin it, effectively ending his season. This has raised a question from my son that I'm having a tough time answering. He constantly sees kids with casts on their hands/arms playing soccer and he can't understand why he can't do the same thing. Obviously, we can't know the nature of the other kids injuries. Is this the type of injury that doctors would cast and let athletes resume playing or is this the type of injury that most doctors would recommend no playing time for up to 6 weeks (as ours has).
1 Responses
7721494 tn?1431631564
In soccer, you're not supposed to use your hands. So, isn't it obvious when using the logic of a 15 year-old that one can play soccer with a broken hand?

Why not use this opportunity to teach your son about unintended consequences and the wisdom of acting conservatively with a body part that he'd likely want to use for the rest of his life without pain?

Do you really need medical authority to keep him from playing?
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.