Orthopedics Community

Cavernous Hemangioma causing frequent fractures in foot?

I was diagnosed with a cavernous hemangioma when I was a young girl. It is located in multiple areas, and I was told by doctors at Mayo Clinic that it was also located in my right femur. I am now 43 and have had at least five (known) fractures in my right foot. Almost every one of the fractures occurred while simply walking normally. A bone density test came back normal. Is it possible that the hemangioma is causing all of these fractures? If so, is there a treatment? I'm desperate to not go through this one to two times a year!

Hi there!

Haemangiomas are usually benign lesions and a haemangioma in the femur is unlikely to be responsible for fractures in the foot. Other than low bone density, there could be other few causes involved. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.