Orthopedics Community

Cervical disc degeneration

I am most confused.  I'm having pain under the bottom of the right shoulder blade that wraps around to the right breast and down the underside of my arm.  This has been going on for 7 months and after being treated for a pulled muscle and a possible pinched nerve I saw a specialist in Houston.  I've had other neck issues in the past with injections that worked but only short lived.  The MRI as of late, revealed that there is (forgive my lack of knowledge of medical terms) pinched nerves at C5-C6 and C6-C7.  LEFT side.  Both of the discs are herniated, there's stenosis, and spurring also.  The doctor now recommends I have an RIGHT upper extremity EMG/NCV which I understand is a nerve study.  

My question is why the pain on the right when the left nerve is what shows on the MRI?  I can't keep taking so much ibuprofen and I do NOT do pain meds.  This has pretty much put a halt to my otherwise active life.  No exercise other than the Physical Therapist ordered exercises.  No running, swimming, fishing, playing with my grand babies etc.  I'm at wits end thinking this is how it's going to be for the rest of my life.  Any answers or suggestions?
I answered your question in the Neurology forum:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Cervical-Spine-/show/2302692

Please try and post in only one forum with the same question to avoid confusion.  Thank you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.