Orthopedics Community

Closed reduction pinning 5th metacarpal right hand

Hello guys and gals I have been researching this but have not gotten lucky so I decided to make an account. I got surgery on my 5th metacarpal right hand last week on the 2nd (almost 2 weeks now actually) and I've been watching some scary movies at home which make me jump a little and a couple times my right hand has moved with me. Also at random times my fingers on the injured hand will twitch. Finally, because of all the involuntary movement, scares, and twitches I have discovered that I can move my small finger a little and got excited and for the past couple of days I have been moving it a little bit myself. This is where my issue is, now that the excitement is over, I realize that moving the small/ring finger might leave me with a few rotation problems due to the body's healing process. I have moved my fingers up and down about 3mm from where it sits with the plaster cast on. My fingers were not buddy taped and I have an appointment with the hand specialist ortho next week. Am I being too paranoid? If so it's because I sprained an ankle 3 months ago and it still has movement issues and some pain. Thanks for the help guys.
PS- I have stopped moving my fingers entirely even the unaffected ones now.
Hi!
If your finger is in a plaster cast and it is not too loose, then you cannot move your finger such that it will affect the healing process. Some movement of the finger you can do. Just check with the doctor and see that the cast is not too loose. Also, please keep moving the other fingers.
The ankle may not have healed properly post strain. This is why you still have movement issues. Usually post sprain, ankle is also immobilized in especially made shoes or soft cast etc. Ask your doctor to take a look at your ankle as well. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.