Orthopedics Community

Dislocated patella

I am a dancer, and I dislocated my patella about 2 weeks ago. When I try to bend my knee, it will only bend a little bit before it feels like it's stuck. Should I be able to bend it at this point? Will it gradually be able to bend further?
Sorry to hear about it.
It would be advisable to have bed rest for couple of weeks.
Did you take an x-ray knee at the time of injury. what was the report.
Did you have an orthopedic surgeon's opinion on this.
Probably you may need some type of surgical intervention based on the clinical findings
Yes, the doctor did take an x-ray right after the injury. He said that the x-ray looked good. I didn't go to an Orthopedic specialist. I was hoping to avoid going to one if at all possible.
I don't quite know what you mean about it feeling stuck, but if you just mean that it hurts too much to bend it any further, and if the X-ray looked fine to the doctor, then it's probably safest to let it heal (get back to bending) on its own.

You shouldn't have to see an orthopedic specialist unless it happens repeatedly, which would suggest structural issues that might need surgical correction. But if it is minor, you may be okay just adding some quad strengthening exercises (straight leg raises) to your regimen to stabilize your kneecap.
When I went to the doctor, he said that I should keep my leg as straight as possible. At what point should I start to try to bend it? Should I still be trying to keep it straight or should I be trying to bend it?
The x-ray report has mentioned in your post do show no bony abnormality (in the sense of  fracture).  Then the diagnosis of patella dislocation was made clinically.
You require to take rest for a period of three weeks and later gradual rehabilitation should be started.
This should help you out.Probably it may take atleast 6-8 weeks for you start dancing.
If you do get no relief even after 4 weeks after injury, then it needs you to meet orthopedic surgeon for better evaluation and management.
Ask your doctor! He didn't tell you how long to keep it straight??
No, he didn't give me much information. He just said that I shouldn't dance for a month. He wasn't really my doctor. I just moved to this area, so I don't have a doctor yet. My friend drove me to immediate care.
Go to an orthopedic surgeon (especially since you are a dancer). Patella dislocation aren't always the easiest thing to get over.  I have had issues with them for a few years and have had to have 12 knee surgeries. Not to scare you but mine was an estreme case.  Did the doctor give any kind of knee brace or anything? Since you didn't get much info from the first huy I would really say get another opion.
No, I didn't get a knee brace. The doctor gave me an Ace bandage that I've been wearing. I've been bending my knee every day and keeping track of it. It seems to be bending a little bit further every day. I would prefer to not go to an orthopedic surgeon unless I absolutely need to, since my insurance isn't very good.
the best thing is consult a physical therapist and they will develop a protocol for knee rehabilitation s/p patellar dislocation.  normally, you will be wearing a knee support to provide medial and lateral stabilization of the knee since your quads will be mechanically insufficient.  next, they will do  a neuromuscular facilitation technique to stimulate your quads to strengthen and thus can provide enough support to the knee. they will not only focus on the quads itself but works on hamstrings as well. good luck. plyometrics will be included in the program and the PT's  will determine whether you are ready to dance or not. dont let your muscles stagnate coz they lose 3% everyday when not in use.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.