Avatar universal

Elbow pain - please help

I'm a 26 year old male and have been going to the gym twice a week doing weights training for about 8 months. In the last couple of months I have had a slight pain that comes and goes in my left elbow, or just above. I first thought it was triceps tendinitis but I'm not so sure now and could do with some help.

It started as a pain in my left tricep when doing dumbbell curls so I stopped doing curls and didn't feel the pain (I did tricep pull-downs/benchpress etc and was fine). Over the next couple of weeks I didn't do any curls and had no pain when exercising or stretching. The only time I felt an intermittent pain (just to the top of my left elbow) was at weird times like lying in bed or driving etc.

I then took 2 weeks off any exercise and all pains went away. I then did a set of upper body weights last night and today at certain times I've had a few pains in the end of my elbow (different place to before). Again, no pain when exercising, I stretch and warm up a lot and can extend/stretch my arms and have no pain. I can't do anything and feel pain, it only comes and goes now and then.

Should I just ignore it and hope it goes away? Does it sound like tendinitis or golfers/tennis elbow? (I've googled the symptoms of both of these and apart from the occasional pain have no other symptoms i.e. in my hands/forearms, swelling, pain when stretching etc).

I really don't want to have another 2-3 weeks off as I'll loose some of the muscle I've been working hard to put on!
2 Responses
Avatar universal
I forgot to mention, it's not normal DOMS, I feel the doms in my chest, bi's and tri's today but it is a 'good' pain, not like the kind of shooting pain that lasts for a couple of seconds now and then just above the elbow. It almost feels like a nerve being pinched slightly.
1711789 tn?1361308007
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include stress fractures, injuries to muscles, ligaments/ tendons, infections, inflammations, growths/ masses etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Orthopedics Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.