Orthopedics Community

Excessive swelling after Meniscus surgery

I had meniscus surgery 3 months ago and since then my knee has been drained twice 50 cc removed the fisrt time then a month later 40 cc's. After the second time 3 days later the swelling was back just as bad if not more. I can bend and I have pain when walking due to the sweeling. Any answer as to why this is happening would be appreciated. I'm also going to physical therapy3 times a week and ice it everyday.
Hi there!

This is likely to be due to the associated inflammation causing irritation of the membrane covering the joint. This is likely to resolve with time and anti-inflammatory medications. When excessive it may need to be drained. I would suggest discussing the expected prognosis in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.