Orthopedics Community

Femoral Retroversion treatment besides surgery?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

I'm a 30-year-old female. I have just been diagnosed with Femoral Retroversion. My feet are extremely out-toed and I walk funny, which I'd like to remedy as much as possible. My Orthopedist says that there's no fixing it short of major surgery to break my hips and reset them. My feet are flat but he says that orthotics won't really help and could actually exacerbate the problem.

Does anyone who sincerely has knowledge of this specific problem know of any treatment? Even if it just helps a little? Maybe certain yoga moves or strength training? Anything?

Thanks!
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation; though I would tend to agree with your doctor that a surgery would be the best suitable option for bone related defects. Though physiotherapy and yoga may help in improving muscle tone and partial symptomatic improvement, these would not help treat the primary cause. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.