Orthopedics Community

Femoral neck stress fracture

Hi there,
So Im an openly admitted running addict that has been averaging about 30 miles a week for the last few months but has been running for years.
Anyway, I had some hip pain about a week ago on Tuesday Oct 19th or something. On Saturday I went to an orthopedic who said I probably just had a strain and take it easy. Well I then decided to run my normal rout on Monday which resulted in crippling pain all along my left hip and thigh.
On Tuesday morning (Oct 22), I went to a different orthopedics being that he was the only one that could get me in right away.
After a 2 second exam and a couple X-rays he informed me I had a significant femoral neck stress fracture that would require immediate surgery. Opting out the surgery would present a 50% risk of loosing my hip and almost grantee a total hip replacement before my 24th birthday.
Feeling I had no real choice, I had the surgery that night. They inserted three screws into my femur and stabled me up.
They say the surgery went well and the screws went in tight. I have to admit the pain is like 75% better than before the surgery and while the muscles feel tight its not the sharp pain from the bone.

However, my greatest fear is that they are saying I will need to be on crutches for 6 whole weeks before I can just walk normally on it. I am devastated by this news and am in total shock. Taking away my running is one thing but taking away my ability to walk is like death. I honestly don't think I can do it.

Please, has anyone been in a similar situation and found that while it may have taken 6 weeks to be fully mobile again they were able to ditch the crutches and maintain an exercise free existence for a while. I just need to be able to walk around the house or to the grocery store. I know I will not make it 6 months with these things
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Well, post surgery for all lower limb fractures, you need to wait for around 6 weeks before you can really put weight on that limb. Meanwhile physiotherapy is started and after 6 weeks, more rigorous physiotherapy is commenced. Once the muscles become strong and you can put weight on your limb without pain, you will be able to walk around. You can also return to walking if everything goes well. Also, since you had stress fracture, please get your serum calcium, vitamin D, thyroid and parathyroid hormone levels checked. Also, wear good walking shoes once you resume walking. Please discuss your rehabilitation in detail with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.