Orthopedics Community
12.6k Members
Avatar universal

Foot Pain

I am a 36yo female.  My left foot started throbbing during the night about 2 weeks ago.  The next morning it felt much better but has continued to be sore on and off since.  I started examining my foot and noticed that there is a small hard kknot on the bone of my cuboid.  This knot does not hurt.  Could this be the source of my pain?  My foot actually hurts more toward the outside and where the heel starts.  The heel itself is not really painful.  Also, my foot feels like it is going to get a cramp in more now.  Is the knot any cause for concern?  Thanks for your advice.
4 Responses
Avatar universal
The site of pain suggests that your pain indeed might be due to swelling. You should be evaluating the swelling in your foot with help of orthopaedician and imaging studies.
What kind of swelling is it? Is it hard or soft? Is there any discharge from the swelling? Have you done any x-ray of foot recently?
Is there any pain which wakes you up from night?
Can you describe actually where the pain is?
Avatar universal
The knot itself is hard like bone.  There is no discharge from the area and my foot does not look swollen.  I haven't had any x-rays and also no known trauma.  The pain woke me up once but not any more.  The pain is not where the knot is located.  Sometimes the pain is like a cramp and in the normal area where you would get a cramp.  The rest of the time it is on the outside, middle, bottom of my foot,  What are the possible disgnosis?  Please advise.
Avatar universal
The possible diagnosis could be fracture or any bony growth.
The symptom of pain at the bottom of foot suggests that you might have a stress fracture, Calcaneal bursitis, or retro-Calcaneal bursitis.
You can get X-rays, including AP, lateral, and oblique views, should be obtained, but it must be remembered that X-rays may not show changes for up to 3 weeks after a stress fracture. Bone scan and MRI may help confirm the diagnosis and may be positive as little as 2 days after stress fracture.
The radiologist need to see whether there is a fracture or not. If a fracture is found then he should look for displaced fracture or an un-displaced fracture, as the treatment for both conditions varies.
Hope this helps.
Avatar universal
Thank you for your time and answering my questions!
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.