Orthopedics Community

Has anyone had the Synvisc injections?

I have had left knee problems for at least 4 years now.  Dr. has given me quite a few injections into the knee.  Now he is suggesting Synvisc injections. This is injected once a week for three weeks and is supposed to provide up to 6 months of knee pain relief. I was wondering if anyone has had this treatment and if there are any side effects from it?  And does it really work and last as long as they claim?????  Thanks,  Kikko
I just received my first shot of Synvisk on 4/18/07, and within minutes my knee pain was completely gone.  There is still a little stiffness, but so far I feel like my knee's are new.  I still have 2 more shots to get and I can't wait to see how I feel....  I was told that for some people it works on the frist shot and some it takes all 3 shots before it works.  i guess I got lucky.  I can now continue playing softball as before the shots I couldn't run, now I am as fast as I used to be...
thank you for the encouraging information.  I hope you continue to do well with it.  Did your doctor tell you how long it will last and how often you can get the series of injections?  Kikko
The shot last's up to 6 months, but I need to ask how often I can receive the treatment.  I played softball last night and I had absolutely no knee pain and I was able to run and slide, something I couldn't do for a few years now.  It has made playing soooo much more enjoyable.  I wish that I had known about this treatment sooner.
I am so happy for you.  Just don't overdo and cause more damage.  If you find out more about the treatments, do post it.  I won't be seeing my Dr. for another few weeks.  But I do think I will give it a try.  I might not get as good results as you did.  I am 66 yrs old.  And if you are playing softball, you are young! Good luck to you.   Kikko
I am 36, but my doctor told me that I have the knees of an 80 year old.  There was an elderly lady that my doctor said was 86, getting the same treatment as me.  I have had 2 knee surgeries and the cartiligde is dissintigrating so I am on borrowed time.  But I will let you know how the other treatments go next week.
I received my 3rd and final shot yesterday, and I feel like a million bucks !!!!!!!!
  Hopefully this feeling will continue for over the 6 month time frame.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.