Orthopedics Community

Hip and shoulder pain after L3-C4 fusion

Almost 6 years ago I had a spinal fusion from L3-C4. 6 months later I had a second fusion because the entire right side didn't fuse because of a bacteria I had. My hips have always been an inch off and I never really noticed until my spinal surgeries. Over the years my hips have become more and more of a problem and now it seems as though I can't move at all without a sharp pain. Sitting, walking, and even laying down for too long have become a struggle. Over a week ago I started noticing intense pain in my right shoulder near my spine. With my should on top of my hip pain making it almost impossible to stay in the same position for too long.
My doctor that worked on my back was always baffled as to why I had hip pain and suggested that I get a second opinion from a hip specialist. Since he recently retired it's kind of hard to build the same kind of trust I had with him in a totally new doctor unfamiliar with my situation. I was hoping someone on here has any clue as to what might be going on and/or if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get this taken care of. I'd really like to not have to go through my life always in pain.
Thanks for the query.

It is extremely difficult for me to opine as to why you are  having this pain. Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, neuralgia, myalgia are all possibilities. You might have to undergo X Ray of the hip and CT as a part of your evaluation.

Have a nice day
Hi there!

Well, without the relevant details, a physical examination and probably a few tests it would be difficult to point out the cause of discomfort in your hips and shoulder. Causes could vary from arthritis, bursitis, capsulitis, ligament/ tendon injuries, fractures, dislocations, nerve impingement/ injury, muscle strain etc.; just to name a few. It would be best to get this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. One should not worry about meeting a new doctor, since he/ she would ask for a previous medical or surgical history with the relevant details, in case the information is not transferred from your previous doctor. More or less all doctors practice along the same guidelines though when in doubt one may seek a second opinion.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.