Orthopedics Community

How do you deal with a worthless orthopedic?

My husband was in a mva in 1998 and the specialist he see will do to anything for him he has found many issues but refuses to properly treat him.  The doctor has taken many x rays ct scans mris bone density, and many more and will not admit what is there and nor will he admit the herniated discs the multuple fractures above my husbands fusion sites and all he wants to do is keep him comfortable with pain medications all he is doing is trying to mask the pain and not treat it. Please help.
I had a MVA in 2001 and fractured my back as well.  I've been dealing with chronic pain, in addition to other unrelated back problems.  For years I was told that there was nothing that they could do, that I would just be on medicine for the rest of my life.  But, I knew something was going on, and I refused to take the answers I was getting.  I saw a lot of different doctors, sometimes only visiting them once.  If I didn't like the answer I was getting, I switched.  It was a good thing, too - I had a rare AVM in my spinal cord which was causing the pain, and eventually almost paralyzed me.  Doctors are working for you - YOU are THEIR BOSS, and if they don't meet your expectations, find a new one.  Not all doctors are worth your time; it's like anything else, there are good and bad doctors.  It was a pain in the butt to have to switch Drs, but I kept all of my own medical records, including doctor's notes and all of the imaging I had done and that made it easier to get the information to the new doctor.

Hang in there!  There really are good doctors out there, you just need to find them!
I am glad you finally found out what is the matter and i have a few questions what is AVM? and what are the symptoms?? No matter what we do not only are we limited to funding and insurance as well as my husband cannot drive long periods without sever pain We hope all will go well with you and your family thank you for the encouragement.
An AVM is a malformation with the connection of an artery and vein.  My vein and artery was directly connected, with no capillaries to deliver blood to my spinal cord.  They also tend to be a tangle of vessels, a high-flow to low-flow, which causes blood to pool and possibly cause aneurysm or bleeding out (stroke).  Fortunately I had insurance when I was going through all of the diagnostics and surgery, but I have been without insurance for two years now.  I was officially declared disabled a year after I really became disabled because my lawyer for SSI mishandled my paperwork, and it will still be another year before I am eligible for Medicare.

Check with Medicaid - they can at least pay for part of your medical bills if you qualify.  That is the state-run medical program.  You can go by your county health department to inquire; they can hopefully keep you from getting too much into debt.  Of course, they aren't without fault - We are responsible for the first $1100 of medical bills; they pay what goes over that amount.  But, even if you pay $10 a month to the Dr.'s, they can't do anything about it, and most are very understanding in regard to financial situations.  

I wish you and your husband the best, and if you have any questions, just ask!  THank you for the well wishes you sent my way.  I think they worked - my MRI from last week just showed "normal" problems - a new fractured vertebrae and disc herniation.  Thank GOD the AVM isn't back!!  :-)
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.