Orthopedics Community

Involuntary Posterior Sternoclavicular Dislocation

My fourteen old daughter started complaining of her "collarbone" popping out about a 18 months ago.  She is very active in dancing among other extra curricular activities.  I took her to a Sports Medicine Doctor who told us that it was an uncommon thing but since it was dislocating anterior, not to worry, she would probably grow out of it as her bones developed.  However, he gave us a stern warning that if it ever popped inward (posterior) that it could be very dangerous, even fatal, and that we should have her seen again right away.  I went home and did some research and found several medical articles that said it was rare, only 100 documented cases of Involuntary Posterior Sternoclavicular Dislocation (IPSD).  So I didn't worry anymore.

Then it happened.. A few months ago, while sitting down at dinner, she was eating her supper, reached for her drink and suddenly grabbed her throat and started coughing.  She turned bright red and was gasping for air.  Within a few minutes, she was fine again but very shaken.  She said she felt her collarbone pop inward and strike her in the throat, it knocked the wind out of her.  I started making calls and we were finally able to get into a doctor last Friday.  He was a cartilage specialist, and while I knew he wasn't the right doctor going in, it was a start.  He kind of freaked out and confirmed that she does have IPSD.  He has referred us to an Orthopedic Surgeon that we are hoping to see today.  

Has anyone heard of this or had any experience with this condition?  I am not sure if this Surgeon has any experience with this type of a condition and would MUCH rather have a surgeon that knows or has experience with this - anyone know of one?
hi buddy,
you are right. IPSD is a very rare condition. I have not see any of these cases till now, but just read in the literature.
It can be really scaring, when the joint suddenly pops inside causing obstruction in breathing  or choking. As rightfully told, orthopaedician will help you the best,
and do let us know wht's his plan
regards
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.