Orthopedics Community

Knee Neuroma

I had arthroscopic surgery for torn meniscus and the pain never went away.  Finally after going to a doctor on my own, a year later, and not telling them about the previous surgery I was told I had a tear in the meniscus.  When I took the information and MRI to the original doctor he said it is a neuroma.  Original dr./surgeon performed the neuroma removal at the end of July.  Was great for a couple of weeks after the surgery then pain suddenly returned.  What started as a small lump under the incision has now grown into a very large and extremely painful lump.  Pain is sometimes unbearable.  Just visited him for check-up and he says my leg is fine and can't explain the pain other than my leg is hypersensitive because I was on vicodin for almost a year.  He said it couldn't be a neuroma because mine was the first neuroma that he has seen in 3 to 5 years.  I go back in another 6 weeks were he plans to release me for full duty at work.  Pain is sometimes so unbearable that my leg gives out- my job won't keep me if it gives out.  Any suggestions???
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. If there is a painful lump under the incision it can be an abscess or a clot. Also, since you have leg pain, you should get an ultrasound of the lump and dopplar studies of the leg blood vessels to rule out clots.
Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.