Orthopedics Community

Knee Pain

I am experiencing knee pain in one leg.  I was a light runner for 25 years.  Stopped running due to sharp pain on the inside below my knee.  Started walking instead.  Now 5 years later knee pain again.  Went to an Ortho for exam and xrays.  Nothing showed.  The Dr wanted to do a MRI but my schedule did not allow at the time.  Now 2 months later the pain begins if I walk a few blocks.  The pain seems to be all around the joint and builds the longer I walk.  Yesterday after a short walk the pain was enough to make me sit down.  I notice a swelling or bump on the lower outside of the joint that was sore when i pressed on it.  The swelling went away in less than an hour and the pain subsides also.  I have tried knee supports and massage and stretching.  The stretching seems to make it worse.  I will be going home in a few weeks and if all this is still a problem then I will return to the Ortho for a scan or whatever.  I wonder what I can or should be doing in the mean time.    
Hello!

It is important to rule out few issues such as osteoarthritis or ligament tears in your knee joint.

You should go for X-rays and also MRI scans to come to a proper diagnosis.

For simple Grade I ligament tears you have to wear a brace for 4-6 weeks and follow up with proper physiotherapy after healing is complete.

You also have to explore surgical options if required.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.