Orthopedics Community

Knee Pain

I have pain behind my right knee cap.  The pain is most severe when I stretch my right leg by straightening it out.  This pain started about 10 days ago while playing basketball.  I don't remember a specific injury while playing.  The pain just seemed to start.  I played through to the end of the game and then quit.  The pain subsided after a week or so.  I ran 2 miles yesterday pain free during the run, but my knee has become sore today.  There is very little to no swelling in the knee today or after the original injury.  I had a torn miniscus in this knee that was surgically repaired about 5 years ago.  From what I can remember, I don't think this pain is the same.  Any advice as to what this might be?  Thank you.
How are you feeling?
When any patient complains of “knee pain,” the initial differential diagnosis in most of the cases includes: Osteoarthritis, Ligament damage, Meniscus damage or Patello-femoral disorder.
Your symptom of pain at the posterior part with swelling suggests that it might be due some collection like Baker's cyst.
Otherwise it appears to be due some ligament or meniscus tear.
Your history of starting of pain while playing basketball and you being not aware of it suggests that it might be due to meniscus injury.
Do you experience any grinding, locking, catching, or giving way of the knee?
Are there any positions that make your knee more or less comfortable?
What is the quality of your pain (sharp, shooting, dull, etc.)?
Have you tried anything to help the pain and, if yes, has that been successful?
Have you ever had surgery on your knee? Do you have any hip or ankle pain (both hip and ankle pain can refer pain to the knee, and vice versa)?
Keep me informed.
Bye.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.