Orthopedics Community

Knee Surgery

I need to be clear on a few things. In highschool I played basketball and had a career ending knee injury. I tore the patella tendon off the tibia as well as fractured the tibia at the growth plate. I also tore the ACL. This injury required surgery with metal screws to place the patella tendon back on the tibia. I was 17 years old then and now I'm in my early 30's. I've always experienced pain since the injury but late June '07 I couldn't bare it anymore so I went to see a Ortopedic to find out why the pain was getting worse. After consulting with him and getting MRI's and X-Rays it was determined that I had some how tore my meniscus so the Orthopedic scheduled corrective surgery to fix the problem. Well the pain in the knee is much worse now and after post op appointments the Dr. said he has done all he can do and referred me out to another Othopedic so I went and conculted with him and he orederd MRI's and X-Rays and told me that he has located a dark mass either in or on the bone and wasn't satisfied with these tests so he has ordered 2 more. They are a bone scan and a EMG. Why would he order a bone scan? I thought that test was to determine if a patient has bone cancer?

A bone scan is done not only to determine cancers that has spread to bone, but it also help to diagnose following conditions:

1.Help determine the cause or location of unexplained bone pain.
2.Help diagnose broken bones, such as a hip fracture or a stress fracture, not clearly seen on X-ray.
3.Detect damage to the bones caused by infection or other conditions, such as Paget's disease.

So don't worry at this point of time and go ahead with the investigations suggested by your doctor.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.