Orthopedics Community

Knee issues -

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both of my knees.  Early in November, I tore he meniscus in my left knee and through an mri, the doctor realized that my cartilage was in bad condition, so he recommend arthroscopic surgery on my left.  Through this surgery he realized I had grade 4 chondromalacia in several places, so he did what he could to repair the areas, and then we followed up with orthovisc injections.  In March, the same thing happened with my right knee.  Through mri, it appeared as survive so the same treatment was recommended and done.  I have completed all series of shots on both left and right knee.

I have fully completed therapy sessions to the point, my quads and other leg muscles are very strong.  I am very limited on my activity and I can tell when I am starting to hurt.  For the last two weeks, For the past three weeks, I have had severe pain in both of my knees.  I have had to limit my activity to just the physical therapy exercises I learned.  I am 3 months post surgery from my right leg and 7 months post surgery from my left.  

I asked my doctor if there was anything I could do to relieve this pain and he said he has done all he can do.  I do appreciate all he has done and I am not a fan of anymore surgery, but is this all I have to look forward to?  My pain is worse than before I had surgery.  I am usually a very active person and my activity has been cut down to nothing.
Hi there!

Well, if there is pain there must be some reason to it; like degenerative disease, inflammations, nerve impingement, unhealed tears etc. In situations where the primary cause cannot be corrected, one may look at palliative measures to relieve the pain such as pain medications, nerve blocks etc. But first the cause of pain must be determined. This is essentially a region that should de dealt collectively by you orthopedician, a pain management specialist and a physiotherapist. Meanwhile cold sponging and NSAIDS may help relieve pain in most cases.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.