Knee pain, swelling after surgery

Almost four months after surgery, I am still experiencing massive swelling and excruiating pain with inflammation. I was having a great recovery for the first ten days, then BAM!  My leg, knee and ankle swelled to gigantic proportions.   My doctor has said only that I have arthritis in my knee and I have to be patient.  On at least three occasions, I have been in tears in his office and asking what to do about it.  He still tells me be patient.  This is surely not normal.  I went to another doctor last week who sent in his PA to tell me that they "don't like to tread on another doctor's territory" and won't see me again, but the PA prescribed Prednisone 6 day dosage that seemed to give me some comfort while I was taking it.  The day after I completed the dosage, the pain and swelling was back in full force.  No one will see me without a referral because this certain doctor operated on me.  What am I to do?  I am so frustrated after four months of extreme pain, all I do is cry.  I've turned into a big crybaby and that is not me!  Help, somebody!  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi I read your post and was wondering if your knee got any better. I had scope surgery on my left knee in Nov 2009 exactly 8 weeks ago this coming Tues. and like you I am in more pain now than before the surgery. My knee swells when ever I am on it and there is a little thing behind my knee that hurts. My knee feels like it has a elastic band around it and my toes tingle. When I told the Dr. he said it takes time. Well my job is a standing job for 9hrs. a shift and this is just killing me. Did you get better and what did you take for the pain. They told me aleve and that has not helped
Helpful - 0
Hi all, I am 45 had a total knee replacement in 2/09.  After two weeks my knee cap dislocated 6 times.  Went into water therapy to strengthen the quads to help it from dislocating and went on Oxycotin in addition to Lortab.  Leg was swollen, painful, and didn't work.  May had a manipulation.  Things improved a little but did not reduce swelling, pain, or stability.  Feel down stairs in August as knee gave way.  Had steriod pack helped a little while taking them.  Then had series of three steriod cocktail shots into the knee joint.  Each time the found blood in the joint.  Had surgery again on Dec 21 2009to remove the synovial capsule as it was obvious it was being pinched in the joint and bleeding internally.  When they did the surgery they found that the synovial capsule was totally fibrotic. I had tons of scar tissue and adhesions.  They had to remove a lot of tissue.  Seven days after surgery had green discharge coming from incision.  They put me on antibiotics. Pain and swelling improved.  Discharge stopped.  Antibiotics ended then two days later had a two inch circular area that was swollen, painful, pink and hot to touch.  They have put me back on antibiotics and the pain improved within 2 days.  The don't feel that it is a true infection but an accumulation of blood that did not get absorbed and is acting like an infection.  Stop antibiotics tomorrow.  Hope that my body completes the healing process.  This time the dr ordered the CPM unit for home use and I have been in it 18 hours a day (yup sleep in it) at 120 degrees to maintain range of motion and minimize scar tissue formation.  I have been in therapy 4 days a week.  Lets hope this is it however my dr states that it is nothing that I have done just my bodies reaction to the trauma of surgery - genetic thing that they can not test for.  So if you have continued swelling, pain, warmth etc.  don't take it will get better with time.  Stay working with your dr to try different things.  No amont of pain meds or steriods would have fixed the fibrotic tissue in my knee.  Good luck to you all and stay searching for answers.  
Helpful - 0
It has been almost 6 months since my knee arthroscopic surgery and my left knee is larger than my right with a bulge as well.  I have iced, heated, elevated, used topicals and used some herbal products. I must say I can walk, but there are times when it is hard to walk. I just started taking Choropyll which is good for imflammation which has helped. I also tried a glass of tomato juice with 1/4 teaspoon each of tumeric and cayenne powder.  This really helped with the inflammation.  Note-Before using herbal products, you might want to consult a Nautropath or herbalist especially if you are other medications).I will be starting a holistic program (accupuncture, chiropractic, massage and detox and knee exercises).  I'm looking forward to this.  I have for a while lost confidence in the doctors and the lack of empathy towards patients that they have. Some of the answers are unreal that they give you, and yes, we're supposed to be patient after 4-6 months to a year is insane. I hope all of you find some solution besides the unheard of amounts of surgery.  I will let you all know how my program goes.
Helpful - 0
I had OS May 27,20l0, and now almost Nov 1, I am still having problems with my knee. I had a torn miniscus and below my knee is very swollen and under the knee to the right where ham string is. I have been at Physical Therapy going on 5 months now and still can't bend it and still having problems. It's very hard to  do anything because of the discomfort and pain and aches. Doctor just says it's soft tissue problems. But why, I don't understand what is taking so long to heal. Any ideas?
Helpful - 0
I had OS on March 16, 2010 and still to this day my right leg swells, causing me so much pain and my right leg goes numb. I have tried everything from pain pills to ice, heat, biking nothing has helped. Any ideas on what I should do? I thought the surgery was going to help, but i am in more pain now then I was prior to surgery
Helpful - 0
I was told I had a large medial meniscus tear and the doc was going to see if he could repair it...said 2-4 weeks off work. Well, he ended up doing 4 different procedures and tells me the MRI was wrong and I didn't have a tear in the medial side but in the lateral side (???). I am 3 weeks post op and still can barely bend my knee. I have a LARGE lump at the site where the scope went in and lots of swelling. My physical therapist is very concerned yet I can't seem to get any answers from my surgeon. I'm doing all of the text book things to help with swelling and pain....not much relief. He says maybe we'll try cortisone injections. - I thought I did surgery to fix the problem,,,now i have more problems. Any suggestions ?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Orthopedics Community

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.