Orthopedics Community

Knee pain

About two months ago I slipped on ice and fell on my knee very hard. At the time it hurt a lot but still just felt like a normal fall. About a week later the bruise was almost gone, but I noticed a sharp shooting pain whenever i knelt or put pressure on it. I thought it would go away on it's one. But the pain is still there. It's located right below my left knee cap. It feels numb otherwise just kills when I put any pressure on it. Any ideas on what it might be or what I should do?
Hi Cath.

It sounds like you may have bashed your tibial tuberosity - I did the same thing about eight months ago (alcohol and stone stairs, sigh) and it's still bl**dy sore to touch. If this is the case, you've probably bruised the bone which can be very painful and take a long time to heal - you may also find when it does heal that there's a slight dent or lump in the bone at the point of impact.

However, it's also possible that you've damaged the patella tendon; you don't mention any pain when you tighten your quads, but if you do experience any pain when walking up stairs, for example, or when you pull your toes as far up as possible, it might be worth seeing a musculoskeletal physiotherapist just to be sure.

If you have damaged the tendon I doubt it'll be severe (you'd know about it if you'd ruptured or badly torn it); probably a minor tear or even just a bit of scar tissue from where you mashed it. A good physio should be able to sort that out within four to eight sessions, although I'll warn you upfront that it'll hurt - if it doesn't, find another physio.

Best of luck; it's probably nothing, but if you're worried have it checked just to put your mind at ease.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.