Orthopedics Community
12.6k Members
Avatar universal

Knee pain

I started having pain in my right knee recently.  I have a little roundish bulge that hurts at the side of my knee and there may be a little bit of swelling there too.  To give some background, several years ago an MRI showed that I tore my ACL or ligament in my right knee, but decided not to do anything about it at the time.  After some time the pain stopped and I was okay. Now after several years the pain has come back.  I can still put pressure on my knee, but it has been hurting quite a bit lately at the spot where that bulge is.  
Is it possible to still have arthroscopic procedure/surgery to repair the knee/ligaments after so many years or do I need complete knee replacement or something else?

1 Responses
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include patellar dislocation, chondromalacia, infections/ inflammations, arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, cyst formation, bone growths/ tumours, nerve impingement/ compression, fractures, injuries to the internal knee ligaments/ menisci etc. It would still be possible to do an ACL repair if indicated, knee replacement is usually considered as the last resort in most cases. I would suggest consulting an orthopedician for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.