Orthopedics Community

Lump on side of foot

My son was hit by a baseball in the lower calf of the leg.  His leg was sore afterwards, but the pain increased several days later, and more into his foot.  3 days after being hit by the baseball we noticed he had a very hard lump on the side of his foot, the inside of his foot, between the big toe and ankle.  It was very tender, and caused him to limp.  This is the same leg he was hit in, but it is much lower than where he was actually hit.  Doctor sent him for xrays which were normal, so we know nothing is broke.  The lump itself is still tender, and hard, but he can walk and move his foot without pain now.

Any ideas?
Thank you!
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your son’s medical problems.  Since there is a history of injury, probably the lump is a hematoma or an abscess. It can also be a cyst or ligament injury. A CT scan would be diagnostic.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.