Orthopedics Community

MRI interpretation.

Hi, can someone help me understand the below diagnosis and what treatment options are available. Have an apt to see my Dr in 2 days, but would like to be prepared. Thanks:

1. Partial thickness chondral loss at the posterior meniscal aspect with mild bone marrow edema.
2. Large joint effusion with 3x3 mm rectangular focus isointense to articular cartilage and may present a chondral body. Differential diagnosis includes focal synovial proliferation.
Hi!
The report describes changes in the knee morphology which may be indicative of osteoarthritis or prolonged inflammation causing synovial proliferation. The treatment is initially conservative with rest, physiotherapy and painkillers followed by active physiotherapy. In cases not responding to treatment, joint replacement may be an option. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!

Well looks like there was cartilage damage with some loose pieces floating around. Had surgery yesterday, Dr said to expect recovery and return to full athletic activity within two month.

The synovial proliferation is most likely due to wear and tear induced by abovementioned athletic activities. Which unfortunately makes me a candidate for osteoarthritis later in life, but this is supposedly offset by a general better state of health in other areas. So I guess nothing is free...

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.