Orthopedics Community
12.6k Members
Avatar universal

Possible stress fracture of cuboid bone

For the past week and a half I've been having a lot of pain in the outer part of my foot, right below my ankle.  Sometimes there is swelling, sometimes it looks ok.  It looks slightly red in that area but not too bad.  The pain started when I was jogging one day and I since then I haven't been able to walk without pain, much less run.  I went to urgent care yesterday where they took xrays and the doctor said he thought it might be a fracture on my cuboid bone but that they would have to wait get the report back from the radiologist to confirm/deny it.  Before the xrays he also said there are tendons that are in the area where I'm having pain and that could be causing the pain as well.  I should also add that I have low bone density so I think if it is a cuboid fracture that definitely could have contributed to it.

Anyway, when the doctor said he thought it was a cuboid fracture I asked him what the treatment is for it and he said either way (whether the xray is negative or positive) that what I need to do is try to walk with my foot as flat as possible for the next 2-4 weeks.  I'm no doctor, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I'm just wondering if anyone else here has had this same diagnosis and what type of treatment you have done to heal your foot!  Or if anyone is in the medical profession and what you typically recommend to your patients in this situation.  Thank you for any advice or feedback!  
1 Responses
351246 tn?1379685732
Well, isolated cuboid fractures are less common. Usually there are other fractures and dislocations. Even an isolated non-displaced cuboid fracture is treated with a short leg cast for 4-6 weeks. Weight bearing MRI should be done to detect ligament, tendon tear and injuries. If there is no fracture but a cortical avulsion only then you can be allowed to bear weight in a walking boot. Please consult an ortho specialist for this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.