Orthopedics Community

Posterior knee pain

I have had long time knee issues and have had 3 surgeries involving medial meniscus tear, cartilage damage and bone chips.  1994 was my last one.  Osteoarthritis was diagnosed in 1994 (I'm 47 and vey active)

New MRI results:
1.posterior defect in root of medial meniscus
2. interstitial tear in ACL
3. bone marrow abnormality at medial femoral condyle
4. mild cartilage deficit lateral femoral condyle

All my pain is posterior lateral with limited flexion.  What the heck is going on?  Surgery again or what???
Hi there!

Well, it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation without knowing the relevant clinical details such as the severity of the issues or having a look at the actual images. The changes suggest inflammation and degeneration of the joint; though a review surgery may not be required at this time, there may be a risk of further degeneration. Typically conservative management with rest, anti-inflammatory medications and physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint would be advised, in the situation. I would suggest discussing the situation, expected prognosis and the management plan in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.