Orthopedics Community

Problems with toes following Lisfranc fracture and fusion

To anybody out there:  all advice gratefully received -

I tripped and fell  over the summer, and even though I knew it was broken, I was told that I had only sprained my foot.  To cut a very long story short, 7weeks later I was diagnosed with a lisfranc fracture, 2 midfoot fractures and 3 dislocations.  Went in for fusion of 1st 2 joints, had 1 screw and 2 staples put in.  That was 4 months ago.  Am now out of airboot and walking around.  My arch can be painful (especially in the morning) and I have no strength when putting my heel down so I cannot walk by rolling from heel onto my toes.  All I can do is put my foot down flat, but at least it doesn't hurt and I have no problems bearing my weight.  But, the joints at the base of my toes, i.e. the ball of my foot are completely locked, and I can only just wiggle my toes slightly.  The foot at the base of my toes is still swollen.  This makes walking very difficult, especially going down stairs.  When I put my foot down on the ground, there is no "give" in the foot itself, and my toes stay slightly off the ground.  They can move upwards slightly, but are completely locked if wanting to move them down (even though I can bend the top joints of each toe).  If I point my foot as far as it can go, it is still about 2 inches less pointed than the other foot.  My foot doctor says it might be Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy syndrome, but I don't think the pain is that bad.  I hope it isn't because everything I have read about it sounds awful.  It is just that my foot is completely rigid at the base of my toes.  He also said that I might have scar tissue on my tendons.   I am going to have the screws out at the beginning of March, and am hoping that this might help, but if anybody has any ideas as to what the problem might be, and what can be done, I would be eternally grateful.
I am a physician.
How old are you? What is your name?
I think what you might be having is stress fracture or stress induced pain. If the patient points to the bottom of the foot, the patient may have a stress fracture, tarsal tunnel syndrome, plantar fasciitis, calcaneal bursitis, or retrocalcaneal bursitis.
How and when did your pain begin?
What is the quality of your pain (e.g., sharp, dull, aching, burning, electric)?
Patients with tarsal tunnel syndrome will complain of numbness and burning in addition to pain behind the medial malleolus and at the sole of the foot.
I think you are right in thinking that it is not RSD. RSD is a diagnosis of exclusion.
Scar tissue is a possibility.
I recommend you to get an imaging study done and see for any possible pathology.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.